Employment is a valid and achievable outcome for every young person regardless of the special educational need or disability
When looking for work experience, an apprenticeship, or a job, there are lots of places you can look and find out information from. The information below should help..
- CamdenAbility helps people (with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and health conditions) who live in Camden to find work. You can read the easy read flyer here or for further details click here.
- GO! Into Employment! - If you are between the ages of 18 and 25 with learning difficulties, and interested in learning to do a job that could lead to full-time employment then GO! Into Employment! might be the thing for you! Find out more by clicking here.
- Camden Work & Wellbeing - An 18-month pilot jointly commissioned by the Council and Job Centre Plus which will run until late 2017. The pilot is trialling an Individual Placement and Support (IPS)-based approach to supporting people with common mental health conditions (such as anxiety or depression) into employment, working in partnership with Camden’s Improving Access to Psychological Therapy (IAPT) teams and Jobcentre Plus. Referrals can only be made through these services. Find out more about this project by clicking here.
- The Camden Society supports people with learning disabilities around job opportunities, preparing for interviews and settle into new roles. Visit their website or call them on 020 7485 8177 to find out more.
- For details about other jobs ans skills projects funded by Camden Council, click here to find out more.
Further opportunities will be updated here soon...
There are useful websites you can visit and helpful contacts to find out more.
- Camden's need help finding a job page.
- Your school careers advisor or Connexions workers can provide specialist advice on career options.
- There are job centres in Camden where you can search for jobs. You can find your local job centre here or look at this overview of employment and volunteering opportunities for other useful contacts.
- West Euston Partnership provide information, advice and guidance around employment, health and signposting to other specialist service within the borough. Visit their website or call 020 7388 7932 to find out more.
- Find out about Access to Work grants by clicking here.
- The Camden Apprenticeships Team supports 18-24 year olds find and sustain apprenticeships. If you're looking for an apprenticeship, you can contact the Camden Apprenticeship team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 020 7974 2689 to find out more.
- King's Cross Construction Skills Centre offers training, apprenticeships and employment advice and opportunities to people looking to start a career within construction. Visit their website or call 020 7974 5161 to find out more.
- Apprenticeships and Traineeships through Westminster Kingsway - find out more here.
The UnityWorks Apprenticeships Scheme (in partnerhsip with the Camden Society) is an 12-month training programme. It offers fully accredited training, NVQ qualifications and practical work experience in all aspects of catering and hospitality to people with disabilities. To find out more visit their website, or contact Glen Sillet by calling 020 7485 8177 or email email@example.com. Read some case studies here about young people who have completed the apprenticeship.
- Are you between the ages of 18 and 25 with learning difficulties? If so, then GO! Into Employment!, the Project Search Programme at Great Ormond Street Hospital with City and Islington College might be the thing for you! Find out more by clicking here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, the Project Search Co-ordinator.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, develop new skills and become part of the community.
There are lots of places in Camden where you can volunteer. Below are some useful website and contact where you can search for volunteering opportunities that suit you.
- You can find out about volunteering in Camden
- Get information, advice and look for opportunities at Volunteer Centre Camden.
- Vinspired is an online database for 16-25 year olds looking for volunteering opportunities
- Volunteering opportunities at Mencap. Find out more here.
When applying for a job, having an interview or if you're in a job already it's important to be aware of your legal rights as an employee.
The links below have some information about your rights as an employee, particularly so if you have a disability.