Children with physical needs can access specialist equipment or adaptations to enable independence in school and home. Examples include specialist equipment for bathing, seating, toileting, changing and dressing and equipment to move from one place to another and for manual handling such as hoists and slings, or adaptations to your property such as ramps, through-floor lifts and level access showers.
Your Pediatric Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist will carry out a detailed assessment to identify your child’s needs and ensure the appropriate equipment is prescribed.
Equipment orders are processed via 2 routes;
- Equipment for School is processed by the SEN (Special Educational Needs) department - contact your school OT or school SENCO for help with this.
- Equipment for home is processed by the Social Care Occupational Therapist – contact 020 3317 2242 for help with this.
This service includes delivery, maintenance, cleaning and re-cycling. A review system is in place as children will grow out of their equipment and their needs may change. When your child no longer requires the equipment it should be returned. Please contact the OT or Physiotherapy service that was involved in providing it, to arrange for the equipment to be collected.
This service does not cover:
- Short term needs due to hospital admissions - contact the hospital
- Equipment for safety issues or needs related to behavioural difficulties, for example window locks or stair gates - contact your Social Worker for help with this.
- Needs related to housing overcrowding - for more information see http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/housing/housing-options/
For hoist or platform lift repair see below for information on the appropriate person to contact:
- Mobile Hoists - call Medequip on 020 8709 7050
- Ceiling track hoists, Lifts, Stair lifts -the repair depends on tenure (type of property and who paid for the equipment) and how old it is:
If the ceiling track hoists (CHT) is under a year old - contact the number on the hoist sticker
If the equipment is over a year old;
For owner occupied properties-
Environmental Health Department (Grants office)
Telephone: 020 7974 6907
For housing association properties - contact the appropriate housing association repairs service
For equipment purchased via a Disabled Facilities Grant and older than 5 years first contact the contact your Occupational Therapist 020 3317 2242.
For young people over 18 years old, specialist equipment or adaptations need to be provided by the Adult Social Care OT team who can be contacted via the duty team on 020 7974 4000.
Referrals for specialist equipment can be made using the SPOR form;