Skip to main content

Community Equipment Service for Children with Physical Disabilities

Children with physical needs can access specialist equipment or adaptations to enable independence in school and home. Examples include specialist equipment for bathing, seating, toileting, changing and dressing and equipment to move from one place to another and for manual handling such as hoists and slings, or adaptations to your property such as ramps, through-floor lifts and level access showers.

Your Pediatric Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist will carry out a detailed assessment to identify your child’s needs and ensure the appropriate equipment is prescribed.

Equipment orders are processed via 2 routes;

  • Equipment for School is processed by the SEN (Special Educational Needs) department - contact your school OT or school SENCO for help with this.
  • Equipment for home is processed by the Social Care Occupational Therapist – contact 020 3317 2242 for help with this.

This service includes delivery, maintenance, cleaning and re-cycling. A review system is in place as children will grow out of their equipment and their needs may change. When your child no longer requires the equipment it should be returned. Please contact the OT or Physiotherapy service that was involved in providing it, to arrange for the equipment to be collected.

This service does not cover:

  • Short term needs due to hospital admissions - contact the hospital
  • Equipment for safety issues or needs related to behavioural difficulties, for example window locks or stair gates - contact your Social Worker for help with this.

For hoist or platform lift repair see below for information on the appropriate person to contact:

  • Mobile Hoists - call Medequip  on 020 8709 7050
  • Ceiling track hoists, Lifts, Stair lifts -the repair depends on tenure (type of property and who paid for the equipment) and how old it is:

If the ceiling track hoists (CHT) is under a year old - contact the number on the hoist sticker

If the equipment is over a year old;

For owner occupied properties-

Contact Sharron Attwood (   / Alison Mansfield (

Environmental Health Department (Grants office)
Telephone: 020 7974 6907

For Camden Council properties- contact the housing adaptation repairs team ( and copy in Steve Williams

For housing association properties - contact the appropriate housing association repairs service

For equipment purchased via a Disabled Facilities Grant and older than 5 years first contact the contact your Occupational Therapist 020 3317 2242. 

For young people over 18 years old, specialist equipment or adaptations need to be provided by the Adult Social Care OT team who can be contacted via the duty team on 020 7974 4000.

Referrals for specialist equipment can be made using the SPOR form;

Contact details

Contact Name
Alison Butterworth
Contact Position
Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist / MOSAIC CDT Team Leader
020 3317 2000


Activity location
Kentish Town Health Centre 2 Bartholomew Road London NW5 2BX Swiss Cottage School 80 Avenue Road London NW8 6HX The Royal Free Hospital Pond Street London NW3 2QG
Kentish Town Health Centre
Bartholomew Road

Further details

Cantelowes Ward
Last checked date
Record ID

Local Offer

About Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adult Life 14-25
Children under 5
School Age Children & Young People 5-18
SEN Provision Type
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?

We are a Camden wide service and supply equipment to the home and Camden’s schools. Therapists are based in MOSAIC at Kentish Town Health Centre, Swiss Cottage School and the Royal Free Hospital. However staff travel to multiple locations throughout Camden including working in the child’s own home. We also work in all Camden maintained schools.

Who does your service provide for?

Our service provides equipment to children who have a physical disability from 0-18 years of age, living in Camden. The service is for children who have a significant physical disability which would impact on their life in the long-term. This service does not include provision of wheelchairs. Wheelchairs are provided by the Camden Wheelchair Service. You can contact the Wheelchair Service on 020 3317 5040.

How can a child or young person start using the service?

A referral needs to be made by a professional that knows the child and family such as the child’s nursery or school or a health professional already working with the child. There is a Single Point of Referral (SPOR) that professionals who know your child can refer through. Contact details for SPOR admin here... There may be a waiting time but we aim to see all new referrals within 6 weeks from receipt of the referral. However, if the need is urgent this will be prioritised. Currently no charges are made for the services provided. Queries around equipment at home should be directed to the health Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist or the social care Occupational Therapist. Queries around equipment at school should be directed to the school Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist.

How are decisions made about eligibility for your service?

Referrals are screened and sent to the right Therapy Manager who will give the referral to a therapist. We send a response to the referral to the person making it and provide a copy to the parents. Once the referral is accepted, a therapist will contact the family and explain what will happen next. We provide interpreters where needed. If we are not able to accept a referral we always provide an explanation.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

All professionals work with interpreters when needed to ensure that everything about the family’s child’s needs are understood by the family. British Sign Language signers are available. Many of the staff in MOSAIC are trained in other communication methods with children such as Makaton and Picture exchange Communication System. Families can provide direct feedback to professionals they are working with, through questionnaires, as well as using a comments box at the first floor reception in MOSAIC at Kentish Town Health Centre. Equipment will be reviewed on a regular basis and this can include feedback or discussion as to whether the equipment is meeting your child’s needs. In addition, if there are concerns regarding the equipment the therapist can be contacted to arrange a review.

Is your service fully accessible?

Assessment for equipment will frequently take place in the environment where the equipment will be used, in home or school. Occasionally assessment for equipment may occur in a clinic such as MOSAIC at Kentish Town Health Centre or in Swiss Cottage School. These buildings are fully wheelchair accessible. There are disabled changing and toilet facilities and changing facilities.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had/or will be they be getting?

All therapists have received specialist training and continue to take up training to assess and support children with disability and their families.

Who should a service user contact if they want to raise a concern or complain about something?

In the first instance or wherever appropriate, concerns and complaints should be discussed with the allocated therapist. Formal complaints can be made to the Head of Occupational Therapy, Head of Physiotherapy or to the MOSAIC Child Development Team (CDT) Leader if your child is seen by CDT. Betty Hutchon: Head Paediatric OT Lower Ground Floor The Royal Free Hospital Pond Street London NW3 2QG Telephone: 0207 830 2535 Email Madeleine Szadurski: Head Paediatric Physiotherapist Lower Ground Floor The Royal Free Hospital Pond Street London NW3 2QG Telephone: 0207 794 0500 ex 38791 Email Natasha Patten: MOSAIC CDT Team Leader 2 Bartholomew Rd London NW5 2BX Telephone: 020 3317 2249 Email:

Who can a parent carer/young person contact for further information?

The allocated therapist should be the first point of contact to discuss anything about the child’s care or equipment. For children under five or the equipment is needed for home, a parent / carer of a child can contact the OT service at MOSAIC: Alison Butterworth If the equipment is for school, a parent should ask to speak to the school therapist.

The Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Camden Local Authority. Any service or provider mentioned in this Local Offer, does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of the service or quality of the service provided. You are responsible for undertaking your own checks to determine suitability of the service and provider.

Back to top