Central & North West London NHS Trust delivers the school nursing service in Camden. We promote positive health outcomes for school age children and young people to help them reach their full educational potential and not be disadvantaged through ill health. When necessary, we provide additional support for children and young people with special educational needs to improve their health.
We work in partnership with families, children and schools and offer a child-centred service. We also support the safeguarding of children and young people in school and contribute to any early intervention work.
Some of the services we provide to different age groups are:
• Age 4/5+ (Reception) school entry health review, vision and hearing screening, selective health assessments with parents/carers, National Child Measurement Programme, targeted BCG immunisation.
• Age 10 (Year 6): National Child Measurement Programme
• Age 11+ (Year 7): transfer into secondary schools health review, group health promotion, targeted BCG immunisation
• Age 12+ (Year 8): HPV vaccination
• Age 14+ (Year 10): health promotion programmes, school leaver booster immunisations – diphtheria, tetanus, polio, MMR
Our service also works to ensure that children and young people are encouraged and enabled to take responsibility for their own health and to adopt a healthy lifestyle.