Skip to main content

Community Nurse Team (Camden Council)

We support and promote health for people with a learning disability who need specialist health input. We work with clients in areas such as sexual health and personal relationships, help understanding diagnosis, taking medication, healthy eating and health promotion. We also support people who have a learning disability and a mental health problem who would need a specialist service outside generic mental health. We work with families and individuals.

Contact details

Contact Name
Elizabeth Nyakapanka
Contact Position
Transition Nurse
020 7974 6654


Activity location
Camden Town Hall Judd St WC1H 9JE
Camden Council
Pancras Square

Further details

St Pancras and Somers Town Ward
Last checked date
Record ID

Local Offer

About Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adult Life 14-25
SEN Provision Type
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?

Our service covers the borough of Camden. We are based at 5 St Pancras Square near Kings Cross station but can meet our customers at Camden Town Hall Judd St WC1H 9JE. We can also visit people at home.

Who does your service provide for?

The Camden Learning Disabilities Service (CLDS) is an integrated health and social care service for adults with learning disabilities who live in or are supported by the London Borough of Camden.

How can a child or young person start using the service?

A young person can start using our health services from age 16 if assessed as eligible for Camden Learning Disabilities Service. Social work can start from age 18 and there is no age limit for our customers. Often young people will be known to CLDS from the age of 14 if they are known to the disabled children’s social care team in MOSAIC, the integrated service for disabled children and young people. Young people may be referred through the Transition Team, which works with young people from the age of 14 and up to the age of 25. Once the social worker is clear about the person’s eligible needs, we will work out the cost of a personal budget. This is the amount of money which will cover the cost of the person’s care and support to deliver the outcomes that the social worker has agreed with them. To get a service, everyone must have a financial assessment to see their ability to contribute towards the cost of their care, depending on the person’s financial circumstances, they may be asked to contribute to this or they may not have enough money to contribute, which means the council will pay for all costs. The person can manage the budget themselves or have a family member, other nominated person, or the Council manage it on their behalf. However the money is managed, we will give you as much choice and control as possible over how it is spent to improve the life of the service user. This means you can choose the support and services that best meet your needs and the outcomes we’ve agreed with you within your allocated budget. This process is repeated at least once a year, and is called a review.

How are decisions made about eligibility for your service?

The Transition Team works with young people aged 14-25 with a diagnosed Learning Disability, Statement of Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) and multiple complex Health and Social Care Needs. In September SEND statements will be replaced by EHCP. When we receive a referral, we gather together and record as much detail as possible at that point and add it to the enquiry and referral episode. A referral Pack and Consent Form will need to be completed. Once the consent form is returned the child or young person’s GP will be faxed with a request for further information around diagnosis and needs of that person. All documentation should then be screened by a member of the Psychology team within 10 working days from the date of referral. If the person is not considered suitable, the referrer needs to be informed immediately. A person screened as a possibility of eligibility will then have a Comprehensive Needs Assessment. If suitability isn’t clear from the referral information, an Initial Contact Assessment needs to be arranged and completed within 28 days from the referral date. Sometimes an IQ test (intelligence quotient) is necessary to gauge eligibility of services.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

We have an Accessible Information Officer, who works with the team to make sure our customers receive information in a format they are able to understand. Our assessments and support plans are available in easy read format. We have leaflets about most aspects of our service and there is also information available on Camden essentials. For customers whose first language is not English we use translation services and interpreters. You can find a copy of our [leaflet](

Is your service fully accessible?

Our service is fully accessible with facilities for disabled people including toilets.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had/or will be they be getting?

We employ specialist learning disability nurses and mental health nurses.

Who should a service user contact if they want to raise a concern or complain about something?

If a service user wishes to raise a concern or complain about something should or speak to the Duty Social Worker on 020 7974 3737 H/she can also follow Camden complaints procedure [Camden Complaints](

Who can a parent carer/young person contact for further information?

A parent/carer or young person can contact Lynette Kennedy, Clinical Nurse specialist for further information. Her contact details are Telephone: 0207 974 3763 Email:

The Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Camden Local Authority. Any service or provider mentioned in this Local Offer, does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of the service or quality of the service provided. You are responsible for undertaking your own checks to determine suitability of the service and provider.

Back to top