The time frames over which the transfer of statements to EHC plans should take place are:
• Between 1 September 2014 and 1 September 2015, local authorities must undertake ‘transfer reviews’ for children and young people with statements prior to them transferring from school to a post-16 institution
• The transfer review must be completed by 31 May 2015
• Any EHC plan issued before September 1 is non- statutory
By 1 September 2016 young people who receive support through learning difficulty assessments must be transferred to the new system.
Between 1 September 2015 and 1 April 2018, local authorities must undertake ‘transfer reviews’ for children and young people with statements who are:
• In year 9; or
• About to transfer from one phase of education to another.
Any requests for a statutory assessment received on or after 1 September 2014 will be managed as an EHC needs assessment and not a statement of special educational needs or learning disability assessment.
Transition in Camden – Scope of the Exercise
As of September 2014 there were 935 children and young people with a Statement of special educational needs maintained by Camden and 65 young people with a learning disability assessment who Camden supports through the 'High Needs Block'.
We will work with children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) and you through this transfer process.
Prioritising the phased transfers
Following Deprtment for Education guidelines the local authority proposes the following transfer for the school year of 2014/15:
• Children/young people moving from school (including school sixth forms) to a post -16 setting or an apprenticeship.
• Conversions of non-statutory EHC plans where the child’s family took part in Camden’s piloting of the EHC plan and does not have a statement of special educational needs
• Young people who receive support as a result of a learning disability assessment who intend to be in education beyond 31 August 2016
In addition to the statutory requirements where possible Camden will aim to transfer the following groups of children with a statement of special educational needs:
• Coming up to Reception transfer
• In Year 2 where the child is changing school from infant to junior school
• In Year 5
• In Year 9