Skip to main content

The support you receive from age 16 should encourage you to make decisions, and develop skills and qualifications that will enable you to achieve your goals and aspirations and move into adult life with confidence.

There's also lots of support and advice you can get, whether that's from your school careers advisor, your social worker, Connexions or from organisations like SENDIASS.


College wiki

Colleges in Camden

If you want to study further and go to college, there are options available. There are 4 specialist colleges based in Camden. These are:

To find out more you can visit the college's website and contact them directly. Or you can ask for support and advice from people including your careers advisor at school, Connexions, your social worker or from organisations like SENDIASS.

Other education and training providers

There are also some other specialist education and training providers not in Camden, but based in nearby areas. These include:

To find out more about them, you can contact them directly or visit the individual area's Local Offer above.

You can also download this 'Options after 16' brochure which sets out details about other colleges and options for when you're thinking about what do to when you're 16.

Specialist colleges

Young people should be able to have high aspirations for the future as well as being able to access the colleges and courses that will best enable them to achieve their goals and aspirations.

Natspec (The Association of National Specialist Colleges) have a list of specialist colleges on their website where you can search for the college that will best help you meet your goals.

Click here to see the Natspec list of colleges.

Disabled student's allowance

Students living in England who are accessing higher education can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if they have a:-

  • Disability
  • Long-term health condition
  • Mental health condition
  • Specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia.

The amount of support received through the DSA depends on individual needs rather than on income. The DSA is paid in addition to other sources of student finance, and does not have to be repaid.

The DSA can help with numerous costs, such as:-

  • Specialist equipment (e.g. computer software)
  • Non-medical support, such as a note-taker or a reader
  • Additional travel costs incurred due to a disability
  • Other costs related to a disability, such as photocopying.

Further details of the DSA can be found on the Government’s DSA webpages.

There is also some useful information on the Disability Student's Allowance quality assurance group website.


As with colleges and other post-16 providers, each university will have support available for young adults with special needs and disabilities. This should be set out in the university prospectus.

If you have a disability, mental health condition or learning difficulty, it is a good idea to contact course providers at universities to discuss what your needs might be as well as to answer any questions you may have. It's best to do this as early as possible, so sometimes even before applying for university. 

Some questions you might want to ask...

  • What extra support is available at the university?
  • How does the university or course provider support other students with a similar disability or additional need?
  • Will you need to provide proff of your disability - if so, what will you need to provide?
  • Can anyone help with applications for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)?
  • Can you visit the university beforehand?

Find a disability rights officer near you?

You can find the disability officer at the university you wish to enrol at, or the nearest disability officer to your home address by going to the Disability Student's Allowance quality assurance group website where there is more information.

To find out more about Disability Student's Allowance (DSA), please see the blue dropdown above,

Adult community learning

The adult community learning team helps and supports adults over the age of 19 in taking the first steps back into learning.
There are lots of courses with some targeted at particular groups such as people over the age of 19 with learning disabilities.

To find out what courses the Adult community learning team currently have, click here or contact them by calling 020 7974 2148 or email

Back to top