Skip to main content

KIDS Independent Support Service

Our Independent Support Service in Camden is provided by KIDS and will provide time limited help and advice to any family or young person going through a statutory Education Health and Care needs assessment. The service will offer support during the process of developing an Education Health and Care plan. The Independent Support Practitioner will also offer support to parents and/or young people with statements of SEN who are changing over to the new Education, Health and Care assessment and planning process. The Independent Support Practitioner will work directly with the parents/carers and children/young people using the service, and will liaise closely with schools, the statutory and voluntary sector and other relevant agencies including education, health and social care.

Contact details

Contact Name
Vickie Joel / Traci Pope
0207 288 7175
KIDS Camden Independent Support 
Alternative Contact or


Elliotts Place
N1 8HX

Further details

Last checked date
Record ID

Local Offer

About Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adult Life 14-25
Children under 5
School Age Children & Young People 5-18
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?

The office is based at KIDS, 7-9 Elliotts Place, Islington The service is available to all Camden residents and covers the whole area of Camden.

Who does your service provide for?

The service provides support to any parent who has a disabled child or child with special educational needs from the ages of 0 - 25 and will work directly with young people from 16 plus.

How can a child or young person start using the service?

Through contacting KIDS directly on 020 7359 3635 or via email to

How are decisions made about eligibility for your service?

Decisions made about eligibility for the service are made through the referral criteria of the service as agreed with the local authority. This includes all parents and young people with an existing statement of SEN or those eligible for assessment for an Education Health and Care plan.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

Through leaflets, information sessions, through face to face contact and e-mails. The service will work closely with the Special parents’ forum to ensure that regular communication and feedback is sought from users and that we consult at all times about the development and delivery of the service.

Is your service fully accessible?

The office base is fully accessible and meetings will be held in venues that are accessible to the family or young person using the service.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had/or will be they be getting?

Independent Supporters’ training, this includes legal training on the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEN Code of Practice, and the role of the Independent Supporter. Staff receive a comprehensive induction programme and ongoing training, which will include safeguarding and working with parents and young people.

Who should a service user contact if they want to raise a concern or complain about something?

If you wish to make a complaint about the service please contact Assistant Director, Julie Tucker, who will advise you of the complaints procedures. 020 7359 3635

Who can a parent carer/young person contact for further information?

For further information you can contact: Vickie Joel ( or Traci Pope (

The Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Camden Local Authority. Any service or provider mentioned in this Local Offer, does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of the service or quality of the service provided. You are responsible for undertaking your own checks to determine suitability of the service and provider.

Back to top