Skip to main content

Supported Living for Service Users with a Learning Disability Camden Council)

Supported Living provides a range of services designed to help adult social care service users with a learning disability to retain their independence in their local community. The service enables people to live in their own home with agreed levels of care and support. In order to receive Supported Living services in your home you need to become a social housing tenant (through the Council or through a Housing Association). Some Supported Living schemes are shared homes where people live together. In other schemes people live in their own self-contained accommodation within a block with support from Supported Living workers. People in supported living get to make their own decisions about how they want to live and get help with managing their home.

Some of the benefits of supported living include:

  • It provides a proper home for people to live in.
  • It offers more choice for people.
  • It gives people more responsibility to live independently.
  • It can be matched more closely to what people need.
  • It uses local housing and services so people can live close to family and friends.

Supported living enables people with learning disabilities to live in their own homes as an alternative to residential care. Some individuals, including those with the most complex needs, have been successfully supported in their own homes, using detailed planning and identify the right levels of care and support. For people who own or rent their own home, they can provide similar levels of care and support through floating support services.

Contact details

Contact Name
Luciana Frederick
Contact Position
Transition Service Manager
020 7974 3737


Camden Town Hall
Judd Street

Further details

Parent Body
Camden Council Supporting People Directorate
Last checked date
Record ID

Local Offer

About Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adult Life 14-25
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?

This service covers all of Camden.

Who does your service provide for?

Camden currently has 37 supported living schemes, with over 120 people living independently. New supported living services are currently being planned and developed to meet increased levels of needs and demand for locally based supported living services.

How can a child or young person start using the service?

A young person can discuss with their allocated worker and at reviews. You will need to be an adult (18 yrs. and over) to use this service. Camden Learning Disabilities Service (CLDS) is responsible for the referral for supported living places. Present vacancies in supported living are limited, so it is important to make early contact with the service.

How are decisions made about eligibility for your service?

CLDS has eligibility criteria for service provision and also eligibility criteria for supported housing to make allocations fair and transparent. Copies of these criteria can be obtained from CLDS. You will need to be an adult (18yrs and over) to use this service.

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

CLDS has information available regarding supported living and they have been working with current supported living scheme to develop easy read materials for each unit of accommodation.

Is your service fully accessible?

Some of the supported living schemes are fully accessible for people with physical disabilities and some are not. All schemes are suitable for people with learning disabilities. Details concerning the physical accessibility of each scheme are available from CLDS. New supported living services being planned and developed will be accessible.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had/or will be they be getting?

Appropriate staff training is provided to meet the care and support needs of all individuals at the schemes. Camden will also monitor this and other elements of the service on a regular basis. All our supported living schemes will have policies and procedures in place.

Who should a service user contact if they want to raise a concern or complain about something?

A service user would access Camden’s complaint procedure. Any safeguarding concerns or problems can be taken to CLDS or you can speak to your allocated worker, if you have one. Support would be available so people can use either complaints procedure or talk about safeguarding [Camden Complaints]( or ring the general council phone number; 020 7974 4444

Who can a parent carer/young person contact for further information?

Your Transition Social Worker should be contacted for further information. Tel 0207 974 3737

The Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Camden Local Authority. Any service or provider mentioned in this Local Offer, does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of the service or quality of the service provided. You are responsible for undertaking your own checks to determine suitability of the service and provider.

Back to top