Skip to main content

Adults Sensory Needs (Camden Council)

We work with young people over the age of 18 that have a visual or hearing impairment.

The Sensory Needs Service meets a range of health and social care needs of young people 18 years and over with Special Educational Needs. We work in a variety of ways including social, medical, psychological, emotional and cognitive approaches. We can also arrange counselling and advocacy with other professionals.

We offer full assessments and interventions by rehabilitation and other specialists for people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, blind or visually impaired or for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

We also offer Reablement, Short Breaks, Dementia Support, and other support on an ongoing basis.

We refer people to Moorfields Eye Hospital, the RNIB, RNID/ Action on Hearing Loss etc. for specific help as well as work on mobility, orientation and independent skills support.

We can also signpost people to areas of specialist audiology and ophthalmology provision (e.g. Royal Free Hospital, University College Hospital, Moorfields, RNIB).

Contact details

Contact Name
Dr Stan Lopes
Contact Position
Lead Practitioner Manager for Sensory Needs in Camden


Activity location
5 Pancras Square
Camden Council
Pancras Square

Further details

Parent Body
The Access and Support Team
Client Group
People with sensory needs
Referral required?
St Pancras and Somers Town Ward
Last checked date
Record ID

Local Offer

About Local Offer
Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adult Life 14-25
SEN Provision Type
Where is the service located and what areas does it cover?

Our service is based at 5 Pancras Square. The service covers the whole of Camden.

Who does your service provide for?

We are an Adults Service, covering ages 18 plus and also respond to the Sensory Needs of Children of 3 years and over.

Although we respond to Substantial and Critical dimensions of the eligibility criteria (Fair Access to Care – see below in how decisions are made about eligibility), we are committed to a powerful Preventative Approach and consequently we also support people with moderate and low needs. The accessibility website link will help you access the council's website to find out more about services.

How can a child or young person start using the service?

Our service can be accessed by any Camden resident through contact (telephone, e-mail, text messaging, visits etc.) with Camden Contact (based at the Camden Town hall Extension) or via communication with our Access & Support Team.

We also accept referrals on an ongoing basis from professionals such as GP’s, Education Specialists (Special Educational or Transitions Teams), District Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Mental Health and Learning Disabilities professionals.

We prioritise cases to avoid waiting lists.

Our rehabilitation services (including Talking Books, Talking Newspapers etc.) are free and adults are able to use Personal Budgets and Direct Payments to pay for their care or add to their package of support as they see fit.

How are decisions made about eligibility for your service?

Decisions are made by professionals with different expertise, working jointly and guided by the law. People are encouraged to participate in decisions concerning them and their carers and ask for explanations. They are also able to ask questions and are empowered to challenge, with the help of an advocate if necessary, decisions which they feel are unfair or inappropriate.

Information about assessments and getting help can be found online at Camden Care Care Choices

How do you communicate with service users and how are they involved in decision making/planning?

We provide a wide range of information leaflets etc. which are distributed to Camden Libraries, GP Surgeries and at the RNIB.

When asked, we are able to translate these into languages other than English as well as in fonts and formats such as braille, large print, audio formatted discs, BSL and ISL.

Residents attend a number of forums with staff throughout the year and this is a very effective way for us to meet service users, carers and others and find out their views.

We use Assistive Technology on a daily basis, e.g. SignTranslate, SignVideo, Remote Captioning BSL etc.

With the help of technology, scrutiny panels, service user forums, surgeries etc., staff are able to give feedback and information about decisions taken or actions planned or changed. As an example, we are in the process of consulting Children, Families and other residents about the upcoming workshops for the Camden Vision Strategy.

Our TDS Training Unit offers a wide range of courses to support professionals, carers and others, including Safeguarding, Sensory Needs, and Welfare Benefits.

Is your service fully accessible?

Substantial improvements have been made in the auditory and visual environments, for instance, the facility is equipped with both Sign Translate and SignVideo (located in a sound-proofed area) equipment for BSL, remote captioning (for people with memory problems and learning disabilities) etc.

The Town hall Extension is equipped with disabled changing and toilet facilities as well as changing places facilities. Children, young people and adults may access the designated waiting areas as well as facilities in the adjacent, adjoining St Pancras Library.

Skilled professional staff are available at all times to ensure that service users, carers and their families are helped and, if necessary, given an appointment to see someone from Housing, Council Tax, Welfare Benefits etc. to discuss and resolve their specific needs.

What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had/or will be they be getting?

Staff have been trained to support people in sensory needs

Who should a service user contact if they want to raise a concern or complain about something?

If you have a concern or complaint about the service you should first speak to the member of staff concerned.

If you are still not happy you can contact the lead practitioner for sensory needs, Sr Stan Lopes

Or you can make a complaint through the Council’s complaints process or ring the general council phone number; 020 7974 4444

Who can a parent carer/young person contact for further information?

For further information please see contact numbers for each locality below:

Euston 0207 974 8934

Kentish Town East 0207 974 4789

Kentish Town West 0207 974 8961

Kings Cross and Holborn 0207 974 7024

Kilburn 0207 974 5080

Contact Camden, Camden Town Hall Extension, Argyle Street, London, WC1H 8EQ

Or dial 0207 974 4444 and choose option2

The Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Camden Local Authority. Any service or provider mentioned in this Local Offer, does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of the service or quality of the service provided. You are responsible for undertaking your own checks to determine suitability of the service and provider.

Back to top